Sussex Day is an annual celebration which promotes and celebrates our traditions and local attractions in the South East county of Sussex.
The origins can be traced as far back as the 16th century, when it was customary for English counties to hold annual gatherings known as “county fairs” or “shire days” to celebrate their local identity. Over the years, these events have naturally faded away, but more recently, there has been a revival, thanks to tourism associations such as Experience West Sussex.
When is Sussex Day?
Sussex Day takes place on the same day every year – June 16th. In 2023 it will fall on a Friday.
How you can celebrate as a local or tourist?
This year, various events and activities are organised throughout the county to showcase the Sussex’s history, art, music, local produce, and countryside.
- Visit Parham House and Gardens, Pulborough, West Sussex – Parham House will host local producers, artists, and designers from across the county. This event runs from 12PM – 5PM.
- Visit Weald & Dowland Museum, Chichester, West Sussex – Experience 1,000 years of rural life in Sussex at this open air site.
- Explore the South Downs – There are so many walking trails across the South Downs, you really are spoilt for choice. You can find a local walking route here.
- Go on a wine-tasting tour – Sussex is renowned for producing high-quality sparkling wines. There are plenty of vineyards throughout Sussex, including Ridgeview, Tinwood, Bolney and Nyetimber.
- If it’s sunny, visit a local beach – Some of the best beaches in Sussex are West Wittering, Climping Beach, Camber Sands, Goring Beach and Brighton Beach.
How you can celebrate as a holiday let owner or hotel manager?
- Share some local produce with your guests.
- Highlight to guests that there’s lots of events going on and they may want to explore the local area even more.
- Share an interesting fact about Sussex with your guests, such as Sussex is home to the world’s oldest operating aquarium – The Sea Life Centre Brighton, which opened in 1872.
Want to book a stay in Sussex, or are you a holiday let owner looking to increase your bookings? Feel free to get in touch with your friendly team, we’d love to help you out!